Friday, November 4, 2011

Life in the Coliseum

As I mentioned previously, I had honed my skills as far as I thought I could currently take them with most weapons available to us adventurers in Eorzea and so I decided I had spent a long time neglecting certain responsibilities (such as signing up at appropriate guilds) and thus I turned to the Coliseum in order to try my skills at being a true gladiator on the bloodsands. I was greeted by Lulutsu at the front desk who quickly registered me to fight in the upcoming games. I wasn't at all nervous, since I was a novice here I knew I wouldn't be trying to take any titles as champion. I'd be matched against another novice and I was sure to defeat him. I'd defeated the Imperials on numerous occasions now for goodness sake. Perhaps, I was being over confident.

Stepping onto the Bloodsands!
I made my way down to the gates and waited for my turn to be called out onto the arena sands. I could hear the roar of the crowd as a match finished and knew I was to be next. The gates opened and I heard myself assigned to fight a new Ala Mhigan ready to prove himself and though none knew us the excitement of the crowd filled me with a sense of awe I had not felt in any previous battle. I could get used to this! I twirled my blade in some showmanship but then went straight in with a thrust to my Ala Mhigan opponent.


Ala Mhigan Challenger!
He sadly was no match for me as I had suspected, but I did not hurt him too badly. I purposely missed and hit his shield a few times for sport, hopefully not wounding his pride if he knew it was falsified, but ultimately I wasted no time in drawing a bit of blood and dropping him to his knees.

Victory in the Arena!
Yoyobina, the master of ceremony, announced me the victor and told me a piece of advice I hope to carry with me forever. " A true gladiator knows the only fight worth thinking of is the next one." It's true and I had not thought much about it. I've been dwelling a lot in the past, on things said and the meaning of the Echo, but have I spent enough time preparing for what is to come? I like to think I've done both, but henceforth I will only focus on the future and find my answers as they come to me.

I collected my prize money and caught a glimpse of the Ala Mihgan Lalafell I had bested sulking in the lobby, but we did not speak. I wondered what fate was in store for me in the future at the Coliseum. It was a grand time to be sure and I will have to recommend it to Nimla when I get the chance. I'd like to participate in many more games if the Coliseum would allow it - though thoughts of glory on the bloodsand do not stir me as much as glory on the battlefield against the Empire and the Primals.

No comments:

Post a Comment