Friday, December 17, 2010

Hide & Seek with the Children

I was at the carpentry guild today and I was asked to watch after the children (who had caused me some trouble a few weeks ago). I didn't hold any grudges against them. I gladly excepted the task and set out to find their instructor, Marcelloix. He seemed troubled but would not go into any detail on the matter. He said the children would work on their toys and play until it was time to eat. All this sounded simple enough. He left with a worried but determined look on his face.

Play time didn't go well. The youth named Powle incited a mutiny. Apparently substitute carpenter means anything goes around here. They all ran off leaving me in their dust. This wouldn't bode well if Marcelloix came back so I had to hunt them down - one by one if necessary - and drag them back to the guild. I dreaded to think they would venture into the forest to hide from me.

I found the one named Nicoliaux hiding in a tree outside the guild (She didn't make it far, did she?). I got to test my skills again at parley which I hadn't utilized in well over a month in order to talk her into revealing the location of the other children. Could I lose at parley with children? Apparently, I could. She was quite skilled in his knowledge of carpentry and Gridania because she bested me in the first round. I would talk her down if it took all night long! 

After 21 rounds of parley, I finally talked her into returning to the guild. She refused to give any information on the other children, but fortunately I found Sansa soon afterward. She was hiding behind the guild itself (Not too clever, really). She mentioned the one named Ryd wanting to be a lancer, so I headed to the lancer guild from there. I'd never been to it before so maybe it would be an interesting trip.
Lancer Training!
The barracks were cool. I got to see some demonstrations while I waited. Finally, Willelda at the front desk she had heard children's laughter coming from outside. I set out to investigate. I found Ryd quickly and he was also reluctant to cooperate. Sounds like it's time for another rousing debate! After all the practice I got with Nicoliaux, Ryd was a pushover. He quickly divulged the hiding place of his friend (the dissenter!) Powle.
I Know You're in There Powle
I had to shake Powle out of a box by the lancer barracks and he told me some silly child's story about ghosts at the archer guild. I took this as a cue to investigate their next. As I approached the archer guild I found Elyn up on a tall ledge. Not the best hiding spot, but apparently she was nervous about the height. I had to talk her down. Her fears were a formidable opponent but I was now a master of parley among children - whatever that's worth.
Let's Do This, Nicoliaux
I'd found them all except for one named Aunillie and the only one willing to talk was Nicoliaux - if I could best it out of her. Ready for a rematch! I shall win this time, Nicoliaux! This time I had her on the run in round two! The student who was once the master is now the student again! She told me that Aunillie never left the guild! Tricky children! For being a good sport, Nicoliaux gave me a sugerloaf hat and some colorful building blocks.

Actually, I had quite a bit of fun with the children! I headed back to the guild to check on Aunillie.  The children were all assembled and studying quitely when I walked in - then the call to dinner sounded and chaos ensued. I find I like being around the children. Though I still wonder what Marcelloix set out to do with such a look on his face. I spoke to A'naidjaa on my way out. I had hoped she would give me some guild marks for my troubles (fun) today but instead she was inspired by my gift (the colored blocks) to task me with another favor.
Very Stylish Sugarloaf!
It seems my gift with children and the importance of toys in these troubled times inspired the guild to prepare a package for the children's hospital ward in Ul'dah at Frondale's Phrontistery. I had never heard of this place (or had I?) so I would get to see yet another new place in my travels. I accepted in the spirit of the Starlight Celebration which was coming to full bloom. Though, I'm not certain when I'll next step foot in Ul'dah. I had planned on a trip there next week to deliver some of my own wares - perhaps it could be rescheduled.

I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment