Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chocobos and Airships!

Nimla and I found ourselves in Gridiania. We had been trying to make rounds to the city-states and see what we could do to help out as recruits before fully committing to a particular Grand Company. I think we have both decided which we will join, but while the option is open to us we wish to do our part for all three. So we entered the Twin Adders headquarters and asked Fulke at the front desk what we could do to help. Fulke told us that on Kan-E-Senna's orders the high conjurers were strengthening the Hedge and were vulnerable to attack and the sentries guarding them had called for reinforcements - so off we went to reinforce and engage the enemy before they could bring harm to the conjurers deep in meditation.

We Ride!
We rushed to the Adventurer's Guild where we had seen a man who tended to Chocobo for the last year and he confirmed all the rumors of the Grand Company getting a huge order filled from Ishgard that were now available for rent and so we mounted up on our first Chocobo ride and headed off to help the high conjurers of Gridania. We arrived just in time to help push the Imperials back, taking down several of their number together and with the help of an old acquaintance named Skyrant who introduced me to Moogle Inc. almost a year ago. The three of us fought well and hard that day and it was Skyrant who discovered among the dead a letter sown into the uniform of one of the Imperials. We took it back to the headquaters once we were sure no more Imperial soldiers would be coming.

Fulke told us that those Imperials we fought were actually from Ala Mhigo, perhaps grown up under Imperial rule, but whatever the case the encryption of the letter was impenetrable as far as he could tell. So he asked us if we would deliver to a contact named Radulf in Little Ala Mhigo, which I had visited a few times in the past just out of (perhaps morbid) curiosity. I knew right where it was so I took Nimla and Skyrant there to see if we could get the letter decrypted.

Radulf of the Resistance
We found Radulf quickly and he examined the letter. He was not pleased. Apparently we had killed a member of the Ala Mhigan Resistance, the very men who had laid down their lives in Mor Dhona with Nimla and I. We felt ashamed, but how could we have known? Radulf told us he was the leader of Little Ala Mhigo and what resistance they could provide to help liberate their homeland. The letter was to the Resistance and told what the man had found out, which was that Legatus Nael van Darnus was on his way to the Eorzean front. He also spoke of new magitek devices being brought to Eorzea and a diagram for one such device was tucked away in the folds of the letter. Radulf urged us to bring it back to the Twin Adders.

Fulke was embarassed he had not found the design earlier, but said he would relay it to the Garlond Ironworks for further study and investigation, though our job in Gridania was at an end. Nimla and I parted ways with Skyrant and decided to use our anima to take us swiftly to Ul'dah where we hoped to find work among the Immortal Flames. We were not disappointed. Apparently Imperials had set up a blockade en route to the Gold Bazaar, where I had done some work in the past. We rushed to break through enemy lines - on Chocobo back, of course!

We dissolved the blockade as swiftly as we had dealt with Imperials previously that day. I am starting to wonder if it is the Echo that guides my skill with weaponry, luck, or the hardened life of an adventurer - but these Imperials seem to pose no threat to Nimla or I working together. I fear I will grow overconfident in my abilities and meet my end at the end of an Imperial blade - but then I remember that time we encountered the Legatus - though I knew him not by name or rank at the time - and Y'shtola and her allies had to save us. It is humbling and haunts my memories. I remain ever vigilant against the Empire that they could strike me down if the conditions were unfavorable, but regardless the blockade fell to us and the path to Gold Bazaar was open once more for traders and the Grand Companies.

Aubrey assured me that these men we had been fighting were merely hired help to the Empire, mercenaries who would fight for money rather than honor. I found myself unsurprised by this fact as I had seen a real lack of skill shown while defeating these men who invade our lands. The true enemy hid behind these puppets. Fearing that future blockades would impede the mercantile city-state of Ul'dah, Aubrey asked us if we would represent the Aldenard Trading Company, apparently run by Lord Lolorito, and head to Limsa Lominsa to get contracts signed with prominent arms dealers. It was a simple task, and Nimla and I were happy to do it. Though it would have been free to take the ferry to Limsa Lominsa, Nimla and I decided we would see if we could book passage on an airship.

Ul'dah from Above

All Aboard!
We were nervous about taking to the skies but delighted in the idea that we stood moments away from Limsa Lominsa with our feet still on the ground in Ul'dah. These new modes of transportation available to us thanks to the efforts of the Grand Companies of Eorzea were truly going to make life in Eorzea a little brighter during these dark times. It was exhilirating to feel the wind whip through my hair as I stood on deck the small flying craft. I will never forget how profoundly beautiful Eorzea looked from the sky that very first time riding on the wind. In no time at all we were standing on the solid stonework of Limsa Lominsa and headed to the docks to talk with the arms dealers.

Arms Deal or No Deal?
We were able to get contracts signed with the Gigas Forge, the Straight Edge Traders, and the Woolvale Arms. All were impressed and delighted to be in business with Lord Lolorito - clearly the richest man in Eorzea, though this is the first time I recall hearing the name. I wonder if he is in charge of the Syndicate, but dare not to ask and overstep my bounds. After getting the contracts signed, we decided to take a break from Company work and see if we could find new adventures to pursue for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment