Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Grand Opening!

The word on the street is that the Grand Companies would be opening the flood gates to allow adventurers final entry into their ranks today. I had been scurrying about all morning running errands for them in order to determine to which of the three I would be most interested in dedicating my services. I have a great deal of pride in Limsa Lominsa, but I would not turn down the possibility that I could be swayed to Ul'dah, as I am a Dunesfolk and am at home in the harsh terrain of Thanalan, or that I may be swayed to Gridania, as I feel a close kinship to the Conjurers of the Stillglade Fane. As such I have been running as many errands for them all day long hoping that by the end of the day I would decide where to swear allegiance. I'll save you the anticipation today! I have decided to sleep on it.

Over the last few weeks, I have been on several raiding missions into the Dzemael Darkhold with the mercenary group Blizzard composed of former Moogle Knights as well as some new friends among the group calling themselves the Sound of Elysium (no affiliation to Elden's linkshell named Elysium). I have learned a great many things and put to rest the foul creature known as Batraal - who bears a horrible resemblance to a primal in my opinion. The Imperials never cease their activities there, no matter how many times we flush them out. The problem with the Empire in Eorzea grows daily.

Fall of Batraal
I've managed to also lead a strike team under the name of Fedaykin into the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak where we have uncovered various magitek devices put in place by the Imperials. We did not fight any inside, but there was plenty of evidence they had come and gone frequently enough - as well as a vast host of foul and aggressive monsters. Fedaykin is a small project I'm working on since the collapse of Moogle Knights and consists of myself, Nimla, Elden and (previously unmentioned friends) the McChops, Scooter and Ducky. I was impressed with their tenacity and dedication to triumph over the depths of Toto-Rak. It was in that former gaol that we met Seedseer A-Ruhn-Senna, the first Padjal I have met in my travels, along with some Moogles (one of which I had met long ago during a Botany excursion in my first months in Eorzea). He is the brother of the Twin Adder's commander, Kan-E-Senna. He said a curious thing to me about hearing the crystals that echo in all of us. Could it be connected with the Echo? I did not have the time to ask as monsters were set upon us and we had to fight on.

A-Ruhn-Senna, Seedseer of Gridania
Earlier today I was able to help the Maelstrom defend against the Imerials gaining a foothold on Vylbrand by flushing out some kobolds from their newly developed encampment north of Bloodshore. I laid an ambush in the canyon en route to the kobold settlement and defeated a small squad of Imperials single-handedly in order to prevent sure disaster for all of La Noscea. I was fortunate to have found such a narrow space so I did not have to fight too many Imperials at once. After the skirmish, I checked on the kobolds to make sure they were undisturbed, but they were not too pleased to see me lurking about so I made haste back to Limsa Lominsa taking with me a small trophy from the battle that I had discovered - a communication device.

You Shall Not Pass!
The Maelstrom was immensely pleased to find one intact. Apparently they self-destruct when separated from their unit, so I was asked to deliver it out in Coerthas to the Garlond Ironworks' cryptologic linguist, Ebrelnaux. He was a bit rude about receiving such a precious gift, but made haste in returning to Limsa Lominsa with me where I overheard him speaking with the Chief Engineer of the Garlond Ironworks, Cid Garlond himself. I had heard of this prodigy from some earlier work I had done - before the Grand Companies had opened even so I was a bit surprised to finally lay eyes on him. He was young, and attractive for a scientific genius, I dare say. He muttered one word as he wandered by lost in thought and I have only the faintest idea of what he could have learned from intercepted communications. That word is "Meteor."

Crypto-what now?
Tomorrow, Nimla and I have some loose ends to tie up with the Twin Adders and Immortal Flames. Then we will dedicate ourselves to a cause and become full members of a Grand Company. The thought leaves me restless just thinking about it. I'm having trouble sleeping. Nimla, on the other hand, sleeps as soundly as if Downy Dunstan had lulled her to sleep himself. It is said that with the opening of the Grand Companies comes finally a large sum of male Chocobo from Ishtar and the re-opening of airships to those brave enough to ride them in these troubled times. I simply cannot wait to see how much of these rumors are true for my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment