Friday, October 7, 2011

The Immortal Flames and the Syndicate

Nimla and I were still trying to decide on which Grand Company best suits us and while I feel the pull to the Maelstrom, Nimla is being pulled toward the Twin Adders and each of us wish to fight by the other as well - but it was in this state of decision making that we were tasked by the Immortal Flames to hunt down a band of brigands at the Ferry Docks west of Camp Horizon. We rented a Chocobo each and headed out west to find the source of this problem and were immediately ambushed by some men wearing Maelstrom uniforms. This was certainly amiss so we defeated them promptly and were hailed by Thancred no less. I can never find Y'shtola and her companions when I need them, but they always seem to know how to find Nimla and I.

Maelstrom Brigands?
It was there at the docks that Thancred admitted to us that Urianger was a friend of his and our previous fight with him had been staged to test our merits. We were not surprised, but he pressed on to tell us that it was the Empire that was sowing the seeds of discontent against Urianger. They were spreading lies that he was a false prophet when he was merely speaking the truth of the coming age. Urianger appeared and referred to their collection of friends as members of the Circle who stirred me with their words. He encouraged us to not  believe the words people speak, but to see the truth with our own eyes and hearts. He encouraged us to go back to the city of Ul'dah.

The Prophet Returns

Nimla and I were as confused as ever, but we rode back to Ul'dah wondering why Urianger was so interested in us and why the Circle had been by us every step of the way. She had become as fond of Papalymo as I had become of Y'shtola, ever-present to save our backsides when we were in trouble. Though the question remained, why? Did they really believe us to be the saviors of Eorzea, or did they say it to anyone who would listen? Perhaps it was the Echo that drew them to us - always the Echo filling me with questions rather than answers.

Lt. Aubrey thanked us for our service to the Flames and told us that General Raubahn was going to be addressing the crowd at the Royal Promenade. All were invited to attend and so Nimla and I went to the Prominade to see what he had to say for Ul'dah and the Immortal Flames. I knew, of course, that he was a great gladiator in his day and born in Ala Mhigo to add fuel to his fire burning against the Empire, but I was surprised to see some shady bedfellows backing him - the Syndicate had its tendrils wound tightly around him, but as he spoke my heart sung out with his words. I admit I was roused by his call to action, a call for honor and glory and fighting for our freedom - the freedom to live and grow in our own world and in our own way. It was a call to arms, but also with promises of great wealth and industry to the booming city of Ul'dah.I had to admit his speech got me more riled than Kan-E-Senna's did and if I had not had my heart set on the Maelstrom I would have been willing to lay down my life for this General. Perhaps some day I would meet him on the battlefield as allies.

Thancred Stalks Me

After his stirring speech, Thancred approached us again and asked if we noticed (and how could we not?) the Syndicate members looming in the background. He also mentioned that it was he who had convinced Raubahn to take up the mantle of general and lead Ul'dah in its time of great need. I was expecting something like this and I assume when I head to Limsa Lominsa, Y'shtola will tell me some of the same if I bump into her - but the more I learn about this Circle, the more questions it seems to stimulate. There simply never is time to sit down and chat with any of them. I suppose they are busy rousing rabble into generals and pulling the strings of war in Eorzea all for some prophecy that I barely understand. As Thancred left us, he mentioned that the master of the Circle (whom Urianger had mentioned in a previous meeting) was heading for Eorzea and Thancred was off to discover where he was and try to meet with him.

So the Circle master was coming to Eorzea...
Perhaps Urianger could arrange that meeting after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment