Saturday, October 1, 2011

Thal's Justice

Nimla and I have been spending a lot of time in Gridania trying to piece together what we can about the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak which the Grand Companies had recently opened while we were away. We were getting closer to gaining access ourselves when we were abruptly summoned to the  Arrzaneth Ossuary. Some tragedy had befallen some merchants and they needed us to clean up the aftermath. I remember my last task I had done for the Ossuary left me with a bad taste in my mouth. An overly obnoxious peer of mine had proven victorious in justifying her efforts to rob from the dead and profit from it. I was, however, committed to my path as a Thaumaturge and so Nimla and I took the anima express to Ul'dah to see what they had for us to do that was so urgent.

Yayake tried to push countless pages of books upon us to read and memorize, but we were saved by whatever Prelate I'llofii had summoned us for. Before we could speak with her, she was already seeing the aforementioned Lalafell thaumaturge. Once they were done speaking she approached us to boast of how she had been selected to assist with the funerary rights - that is to say, steal the belongings of the dead for herself and for the Ossuary. Apparently, Nimla had met her before two and neither of us were impressed with this treacherous Lalafell. She left after taunting us with how much better of a thaumaturge she is than we and we proceeded to speak with I'llofii of what we could do to help.

Prelate I'llofii's New Mission
We reported to her at once and learned there had been an accident on the way to the ferry docks west of Ul'dah. We were familiar with the area and were sent to investigate if any vengeance would be needed and if so to carry it out. Though it was an accident, there was always a chance of wrong-doing, and so Nimla and I set out to the cliffs by the ferry docks.

The Wreckage
We arrived to find the Lalafell thaumaturge picking through the remains of the carriage. She turned and asked us if we were there to execute the wills (seek vengeance if necessary) and when we admitted that we were she immediately told us to stay out of her way until she was done since her task was more important than ours. I felt she was hiding something, so as Nimla stood by and watched her at her work, I decided to use the Echo which had been reawakening since my return to Eorzea and itching to be used. I knew there was some darkness in her soul that I would uncover. 

What I saw surprised me, yet. I stumbled into her speaking with a coachmen at the Ferry Dock and while he seemed to be under the impression it was a date - she managed to put him to sleep and weave some spell over him. So she had been the puppet master of this accident! My gasp alerted her to my presence and I panicked and ran from the scene. She appeared in front of me as I turned a corner. I'd been caught! It was then that the Echo faded and I was back standing beside Nimla.

Evil Thaumaturge Provoked
She turned at that moment and spoke with clarity. "You..." She knew it was me and she knew that I had seen what had happened. Someone was to blame for this accident, but the Ossuary did not seek vengeance on its own. I held Nimla's hand tightly unsure of how to proceed, but the path was laid out before us. This treacherous, murderous Lalafell sought to teach us our final lessons on death. Vengeance or no, we were forced to fight. Nimla kept the area clear of the puk that were closing in to scavenge while I dealt with this Lalafell directly - and oh it felt so good.

Her Final Spell
She fought well but I finally brought her to her knees. Nimla had chased off the puks and we stood over her menacingly. It felt so good to triumph over this evil woman even if it was against the Ossuary's rules. Nimla stood firmly beside me as I prepared to land the finishing blow, but I was surprised by a strong feminine voice commanding me to stop.

I'llofii stood behind us. She pushed Nimla and I aside to speak directly to the Lalafell. She said that we do not seek vengeance on our own because what lies in store for her is much worse than death - that she would wish for a long time I had struck her down this day. She explained to all of us that thaumaturge bear the sin of others that we might recognize the seeds of evil that are harbored within us all. Then use that knowledge to know ourselves better. I was surprised! This is not how I had come to know the Arrzenath Ossuary or its rules. Perhaps hitting those books would not be so bad after all - to better understand why they do what they do and how it all fits together. That this Lalafell would be punished severely for her misdeeds made me feel so much better about all that had come before. I felt reinvigorated in doing the duties of a thaumaturge - one who walks on the edge of life and death. I'llofii left with the Lalafell and instructed us to meet her later. 

When we arrived at the Arrzenath Ossuary, I'llofii admitted she was worried that I would quit the path of thaumaturgy due to the previous encounters with that villainous woman. She expressed apology over the thought that I might never learn the truth and consequences of these sordid events, but now everything was as it should be and I was still a welcome member of the order. She admitted that Nimla and I have a moral compass that many others lack. She hinted that someday we may come to know all this realm has to teach us of sin and that will be our true test. Such knowledge has driven all but the greatest of minds to madness.

I'llofii Knows More than She Lets On
I think she sees the Echo in us both, though she said nothing more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment