Thursday, October 6, 2011

Unexpected Alliance

Nimla, Elden and I were still determining which Grand Company to ultimately dedicate ourselves to when we were invited to hear Kan-E-Senna speak on behalf of the Twin Adders which she would lead. We gathered at Mih Khetto's Amphitheatre in central Gridania. I recognized a lot of familiar faces in the crowd as I stood by my friends and allies in Fedaykin. I was particularly happy to see the children from the Oak Atrium who waved vigorously to me so I would notice them. I would have to pay them a visit someday in the future. There were also several Padjal in attendance. I was curious to learn more about them, but I doubted Kan-E-Senna's speech would enlighten me on their elusive nature.

Kan-E-Senna spoke on behalf of the Adders, the people of Gridania, the elementals of the Twelveswood and the Shroud itself when she addressed the crowd. She was quite majestic to look at and I wish I had the opportunity to take a picture of her. She spoke of the great and ancient elementals who had given her council to stand against the darkness of Garlemald. Her speech invoked the mysticism of the conjurers and the deep ties to the land within the Shroud that all Gridanians revered deeply. Her words evoked images of harmony and unity and defending our homelands. She was truly a warrior of the heart. Her passion was in emotion and love for the land itself. She called to purge it of the disease of the Empire.

Hail, Papalymo!
Afterwards, as everyone was leaving, Nimla, Elden and I bumped into Papalymo. I knew him to be one of Y'shtola's allies and Nimla knew him ever more well since she had been in Gridania around the time he had arrived. He hailed us and spoke with us briefly. Papalymo asked us about the speech, but also let slip that it was he who had discussed in great length with Kan-E-Senna reviving the Order of the Twin Adders. The thought gave me pause. He admitted that as students of the prophecies, he and his allies, Y'shtola and Thancred, had come to Eorzea believing that the Grand Companies were the key to saving the land from destruction and put their hearts into their revival. The more I learned about Y'shtola and her allies the more interested in them I found myself but to sit down and discuss it all at length had yet to present itself a time.

Papalymo instructed the three of us to head out to Rootslake to see firsthand what kind of dangers lurked in Eorzea other than the Empire. He was first to admit that there was more to all of this within the prophecies than a simple Imperial invasion. We all wanted to know more, so he handed Nimla something called an Earthbreaker which he insisted we would need.

What Manner of Beast...
We rode out to Rootslake where we were immediately surprised to see something unlike we had ever seen in Eorzea - an enormous creature made all of stone and some spriggan attending it. We fought our way swiftly through the spriggan and encountered this stone monster. It's defense was impenetrable until Nimla used the Earthbreaker to weaken its rock-skin. Only after its armored exoskeleton had been cracked and weakened that we were able to destroy it out-right. Then we saw Papalymo and Urianger standing in the wake and I found myself confused. Papalymo and Urianger are allies?

It appears that they are indeed. They had studied the prophecies together before coming to Eorzea. The herald named Alfgar in Ul'dah had denounced Urianger as a dark and false prophet, a doomsayer with no basis in reality - but so far his prophecies were coming true and to find out that my allies, Y'shtola and her associates, were also Urianger's allies sent my head reeling. I had thought there was more to Urianger; I had thought he to be some type of villain. Now, I learn we fight for the same deep cause. He told us that the prophecies spoke of the men carved by the Archons from stone - the golem we had fought presumably that were resurfacing again in Eorzea.

Allied with Urianger
Urianger told us that he was here because his own master had sent him after telling him that the future was not entirely consumed by darkness, that a beacon of light yet remained to guide us all. I wondered what man Urianger called master, and he assured me that if he could arrange it one day we would meet, because he felt strongly that we were the key to the future and I would discover the gate to deliver us from the darkness of the 6th Umbral Era. I wanted to laugh at how ridiculous it sounded. I'm just one man, leading a small group of freedom fighters, but I know that such men in the past have had the power to influence all of history. The thoguht makes me uncomfortable still, but all I can do is endure and move forward.

I decided that I did not want to think too hard about this prophecy, about being key to the light of the future - and so I summoned Fedaykin some hours later to explore a cave of untold treasure that had recently opened up for adventurers to explore. I thought might be a fun way to spend time and hone our skills and camaraderie - and I was right!

Coeurl is All Alone
Nimla, Elden, and I headed for Shposhae where it was alleged that Captain Mistbeard had hidden troves of his legendary treasure in its midst. Who believes such things? It was fun to explore a new, elaborate cavern, filled to the brim with trials to overcome and treasures to unlock. It was a great way to break in Fedaykin's newest member, Alma, who had joined us earlier in the day. We managed to find and fight a mysterious beast known as the Lone Coeurl, who yeilded to me a pirate's eyepatch which I wore proudly as a trophy for the remainder of the night. We also fought a gigantic orobon and an angry crab. We did not leave with Mistbeard's riches, but we did leave in good spirits (and without feeling the weight of the entire future on our shoulders).

Giant Remora!

Nimla and I still have yet to choose a Grand Company while Elden heads to Limsa Lominsa and Alma heads to Ul'dah. For the two of us, that choice will have to wait at least another day. I always seem to have so much to think about. It's my own fault, of course. All I wanted to do when I came to Eorzea was make a name for myself - apparently I'm on the path to becoming a legend...

No comments:

Post a Comment