Friday, January 14, 2011

Parley with Beasts

I arrived in Drybone early this morning to find that Hero had been there before me. He instructed me to meet him at a mesa to the southwest so I headed out into the wilderness to find him and the Amalj'aa excavation site.

When I arrived Hero met me at the mouth of a cavern or canyon, much like Little Ala Mhigo but inside we could here steel clashing against steel - the sounds of battle! We rushed inside and were met by the emissaries from the Consortium who warned us not to go farther. The lalafell Nananoby was pleased to see us once he knew who we were and the sylph cast a spell to sooth the battle raging between the Ixal and the Amalj'aa - both of whom I was seeing for the very first time! Formidable creatures, both!
Nananoby Has Good Fashion Sense
 There seemed to be some great confusion at hand. The tribes quarreled over crystals. They blamed the Ashcrown Consortium for stealing them away when they could be used to crush the Empire. The saw the destruction of Ala Mhigo as a sign of weakness. Due to my somewhat recently honed skills in parley (Thank you, Nicoliaux!) I was able to calm both the tribes down and explain to them the importance of our mutual cooperation - but within minutes we were all at each others' throats again. Sigh, what's a conjurer to do?
Discussions with the Amalj'aa

Discussions with the Ixal
The negotiations were interrupted as Hero spotted something out in the open desert - it send the Amalj'aa and Ixal both scurrying into the mountains like cowards. We too were hidden by the sylphs' magic spell and watched as the most horrific creature I have ever seen took pause and glanced in our direction. Surely he didn't see us for he continued on his gruesome way without another moment. I was told this demonic humanoid monster was called an Ascian. Where had I heard that name uttered before?

It seems we have been defeated by fate. The sylph say the primals have corrupted the minds and hearts of the tribes - each loyal to their own god. The sylph seemed to have intimate knowledge of these beings that dwell in aether. Nananoby mentioned Garleans had taken up occupation of a place called Silvertear Falls - I'd not heard that name before - and it would solve a lot of problems if they were to leave (or be repelled!) from there. It was then that Nananoby spotted a sack left behind by the tribe full of crystals. It seems our efforts were not completely in vain - but isn't this called stealing? It lends truth to the tribes' words that the Consortium robbed them of their power. I said nothing and we returned together to Gridania.

We spoke of several things - among them the worth of crystals and their shards (of which I am well aware). Nananoby also explained Silvertear Falls was found in Mor Dhona which was tainted and twisted land (aware of this as well as I explored it some time ago with members of Elysium). I did not see any Garlean forces there, however, and I'm curious to understand where and what this Silvertear Falls is exactly. I'm not sure I recall seeing any place that would match the description of its name.

The Consortium was very generous with its reward for our efforts and Nananoby handed me a linkpearl in case the Ashcrown Consortium had need of our services again - cutting out the middle man. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment