Thursday, May 5, 2011

Another Ironworks Encounter

Many times since I have come to Eorzea the events I have witnessed have left me wondering "what's next?" Since I've arrived I've been gifted with the Echo and used it to solve many problems around the city-states of Limsa Lominsa, Ul'dah, and Gridania. The threat of the Empire looms over the entire region and now the news and odd circumstances leading us into the so-called 6th Umbral Age. My last meeting with Hero and Y'shtola left me dazed, confused and lost in a world with very few answers. I found myself searching in a likely place - the Temple of Nald on the western edge of Ul'dah.

I had been spending time here (as opposed to the Temple of Thal, a place toward which I was still feeling particularly badly about since learning of their grave robbing ideologies) because thaumaturgy is a connection to aether and embodies life and death. I thought maybe studying thaumaturgy principles would give me a clue about the astral and the umbral - and maybe a glimpse at the Echo. There was a nagging feeling that I would find no answers here.

At the Temple, Milvaneth Sacrarium, I met a Lalafell thaumaturge named Peneli Zuneli who came to me with a problem that he thought perhaps I could help. He explained that an airship coming to Ul'dah had recently been shot down by Imperials and crashed not far from the city. This incident had caused quite a bit of alarm within the city and in order to ease some of the distress the Sacrarium was giving out luck and safety talisman to their more generous donors. Although it sounded a bit like a swindle to me, I agreed to deliver the talisman to the worried (and wealthy) citizens of Ul'dah. I decided it would take my mind off some of the heavier items weighing upon it.

Peneli Zunel
I met Abylgo Hamylgo for the first time, a gladiator ready to join the banner of the Grand Company if the Syndicate was moving to reopen them. While I was at the Colosseum, I dropped off a talisman for the  Master of the Colosseum who hadn't been seen since the attack on the airship. That struck a cord with me, but I couldn't quite place it - was the Master named Raubahn? If so I had heard he was working to open the Grand Company of Ul'dah, the Immortal Flames. Perhaps it was just a rumor.

I had a talisman for Kukusi at the Prhontistery. She told me the Phrontistery had put forth the donation in order to acquire the talisman and ease the worries of the patients who should be focused on getting well and not about the impending Imperial threats. I was afraid of purchases such as these, but I understood the necessity to ease the minds of the already suffering.

One of the principle leaders of the Ala Mhigan refugees in Ul'dah named Naida Zamaida had been incredibly scared since the airship attack with flashbacks of the invasion of Ala Mhigo coming back at inopportune times. I hoped the talisman would work to fight off those terrible thoughts.

The final talisman was delivered to Rorojaru, a wealthy business Lalafell overseeing the Sapphire Avenue. He had been distressed about the loss of life aboard, the airship itself and rumors that brigands were already looting what was left of the ship and its cargo. I decided to mention that to Peneli because I knew that the wreckage of the airship belonged to Ul'dah (and specifically the property of the Temple of Nald who pays for its service and maintenance).

When Peneli heard about this outrageous affront on the Milveneth Sacrarium's property he asked if Nimla and I would go do something about it. I had foreseen this and we were ready. We rushed to the scene and caught the villains red-handed. We defeated them but found that it wasn't the airship or the cargo that had interested them, but two prisoners they had lured to the wreckage.

Hold It Right There!
I was introduced to Nymiene of the Garlond Ironworks - appraently they had been sent to assess the wreckage first as they were working closely with Ul'dah and the Immortal Flames grand opening. This seemed similar to what had transpired in Limsa Lominsa not too long ago. I was forced to assume these bandits we had defeated were Imperial agents who had set out to trap and capture the Ironworks' engineers.

Ironworks' Engineers
I returned to Peneli and told him what had transpired. He explained to me that the Syndicate hired the Garlond Ironworks to work on machinery and maintain the airships. The Master of the Ironworks and the Sultana have been visiting a lot recently. The Master of the Ironworks is allegedly a prodigy with machinery. Many wonder if he can match the military technology of the Empire. I had never heard of him before, but if he lived up to these rumors he was definitely a huge asset to the city-states as an ally. Perhaps the Imperials seek to capture him with these plots.

Reward Please!
Peneli had offered us a reward, but he was very reluctant to part with gil. He spoke of collecting for a new monument or building but I paid it no mind. I am at a loss with these thaumaturge of Nald'thal. Though they speak of spiritual enlightenment and traversing the realms of death, they all seem to share an immediate fascination with coin - and the Syndicate appears to be behind it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment