Saturday, May 28, 2011

Love Buscuit #9

I have been spending great lengths of time around Limsa Lominsa working on my fishing skill as well as my coral business empire (which is doing quite well these days) which gives me lots of time to think (and write!) about the Echo. It's been almost a month since our fated trip into Mor Dhona where Nimla, Hero and I almost died at the hands of the Imperial invaders and since then I have thought much but discovered very little about the nature of the Echo. I was saved by Y'shtola and her words still haunt me. I have come to Limsa Lominsa to rest, reflect and fish, but today I was stopped by a young woman on the street.

Her name is Dympna and she asked if my wife and I would be willing to perpetuate a rumor to help her uncover the truth about a particular chef working at the Bismarck. She is a somewhat well known investigative journalist for the "Harbor Herald" publication and while I had never heard of her specifically, I had heard of the Herald in my journeys - as well known as Gridania's "The Raven" where I first heard about the Archons. I'm not one to spread lies, but Dympna assured me that most of this particular story was true and the more people talked of it the more factual information would eventually come to light - as well as copies of her story would sell on the streets of Limsa Lominsa (and perhaps beyond).

Limsa Lominsa's Ambitious Journalist
A job is a job as they say and while I'm not interested in rumor mongering, I am interested in keeping up a good reputation - especially with someone who can make or break my entire business venture by slandering me in some popular publication. So I asked Nimla if she would accompany me around town making subtle inquiries about a chef at the Bismarck who has been rumored to have discovered a "love potion" food.

Dympna had given us a list of the city's most gullible, coached us in the art of excited storytelling and sent us on our way to do our worst to get the town filled with stories about this magical meal. Nearby was an old acquaintance with whom I was subtly annoyed with so it was with great pleasure that I filled his head with stories of the love food. Ferdillaix assured me that the only sustenance he needs in this world is spirital and that only Menphina herself may move a man's heart. 


Fufuna was not moved by this show of sensationalism, but when I used the tactic Dympna showed me to psyche her up and fill her with passion, she was won over by our show of love and talk of love food. Aergwynt was easily won to the trap, and R'baharra wanted to use the food to unite the pirates under the Admiral's banner. Then the Admiral could focus on the Maelstrom and R'baharra would be given control of the city-state. She is ambitious (if not misguided) to say the least. I could see why Dympna chose these people to spread these tall tales.


Buburoon (sounds gullible already) was easy to convince and the final person on the list. We found him aboard the Astalicia and within moments our tales were beginning to make their way through the pirate crews and Quqirn population. Our work was done.

Buburoon, We Meet Again
When we returned to Dympna, she elaborated that this is a true story of a true chef at the Bismarck, and even encouraged us to seek the truth for ourselves.  She did fail to mention before we were on our way sowing the seeds of her story, that the effects of the food only last as long as the food remains in your body and as it is cast away so are the feelings of deep love for the person who fed it to you. It was a small oversight in a tremendously unbelievable tale. I cannot say for sure if I will ever seek out the truth about this fabled food.

No comments:

Post a Comment