Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Watcher Saga Finale (Sandre's Night Vision)

I had received word from my contacts in Gridania that someone had work for Nimla and I at both the Archery and Botany Guild once again. Mercenary work that was unsanctioned by the guilds, that is. The type of work the Hulud family was getting known for in Eorzea. I put aside my quest to understand the Echo and teleported into Gridania with Nimla by my side.

Who Appears Better Suited for Hunting Ixal?

 We met O'dhinek at the Quiver's Hold who told us a horrible story of new recruits at the guild being attacked by Ixal in the woods near Quarrymill. I wondered why the guild itself couldn't deal with this situation as it was made up of those who hunted and patrolled the woods regularly, but the last time I did any patrols with them I was abandoned by my good-for-nothing partner. Perhaps the Quiver's Hold lacks the integrity I once thought it held, but I have no real idea and I felt it rude to ask - we took the job.


Although dealing with the Ixal raiders seemed urgent, I wanted to stop by Greatloam Growery in order to find out what task they had for us there before leaving the boughs of Gridania. At the Growery we met with another Miqo'te named V'nabyano who was (of all things) a vegetarian cat-woman. She told us how she wants to express to the carnivores around her how wonderful vegetables can truly be in order to convince Sandre (an aquaintance of mine at the Botanist Guild). It all sounded so funny to me (who delights in meat dishes, mind you) that I'd get paid to prove what a wonderful world awaits vegetarians, but a job is a job after all and I agreed to do it.

Herbavore Cat
I still had some unfinished business with Sandre about a certain incident that angered the elements of the Shroud (at me personally, no less) but he was not to be found today. I spoke briefly with Mestonnaux about the vegetables in question, and he instructed me to head north of Camp Tranquil where the Tinolqa popoto grows in the wild and is unrivaled in flavor. I hoped when I returned that Sandre would be there to discuss a previous excursion into the wilderness in order to tamper with the Watchers.

We made our way south to Quarrymill where we were set upon by the very Ixal we were hunting and made short work of them. Hopefully they stay clear of this place, or Nimla and I will have to come back and push them out of the Quarrymill area permanently.

No Ixal Sympathizers Here!

Then we headed a bit north of Camp Tranquil and found the Tinolqa popoto fields swarming with opo-opo and they put up a good fight for their precious popotos. Getting our hands on the tastiest vegetables in Eorzea was a more difficult task than I had imagined and it left us tired, but we trudged back to Gridania to report in with our employers.

When we met with V'nabyano and handed over the (delicious) popotos, she explained that vitamin deficiencies effect Sandre's night vision which is what causes him to think the Watchers aren't working correctly. She said she would speak to him on the subject and with that I suddenly felt absolved from my responsibility of the cerulean ooze. I hoped this would stop his quest to fix what isn't broken.

At the Quiver's Hold, O'dhinek spoke of swift exile upon any who sympathize with the Ixal. She mentioned there was a healer who found out swiftly that healing wounded Ixal saw him removed from Gridania's society. It seemed harsh to Nimla and I and I worried about what would happen to us if they found out I could speak with Ixal fluently via the powers of the Echo. My worries always come back to the Echo, it seems. My fate is tangled with it.

PS - I still delight in eating cooked meat, though vegetables are good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment