Sunday, May 29, 2011

Menphina Stew Adventures!

Although I wanted to take time to think about the events of Mor Dhona and the Echo itself, Nimla has been insistent about learning about the love food we heard about from the "Harbor Herald" journalist. Although, I once believed Nimla to not be burdened by such things as the Echo, I've begun to question if she too should be walking the path of the twelve. She showed distinct signs of the Echo, though, whether it has fully manifested for her or if it ever will I do not know. At any rate, she seems pleased to try not to think about the events that happened to us earlier this month, but I am the opposite.


I do, however, not have much to go on so per her request we decided to investigate around the Bismarck. After some poking around we met a young Miqo'te named H'lahono who was sulking outside the restaurant and guild. We asked her what troubled her and she confessed to us in confidence that she was trying to prepare Menphina stew, but was lacking a certain spice. I joked to Nimla briefly that "spice" was my middle name! Then we decided we'd help this girl make her stew and set out into the wilderness to forage some musk roseling pollen.

It occurred to me while we were out fighting roselings and gathering their pollen that Menphina stew must be this delicacy that turns one's thoughts to love. She mentioned trying to make it for Nanapiri or something and the use of the guardian Menphina were clues to this mystery. Nimla and I were shocked to discover we had found some insight to the truth of this "love meal" so quickly. We rushed to get the spice and return to H'lahono so we could question her.

H'lahono admitted to us (in her delight to receive her missing ingredient) that she had, in fact, been perfecting the recipe for the stew over numerous years and countless attempts, but an unfortunate side-effect of the stew was that once it was completely digested and out of the body the feelings of love left with it. She had been feeding this poor sailor, Nanapiri, Menphina stew for who knows how long in an attempt to win him over to marriage ... either by perfecting the recipe to be permanent, or the gradual wearing down of his senses perhaps. It was a cute story, but seemed a bit sad from Nanapiri's point of view. Without H'lahono's consent we decided to pay him a visit.


Though it took us quite a while of poking around the docks, we finally tracked Nanapiri down aboard the Astalicia where he was a member of the Kraken's Arms. He was taking stock of some alcohol, I believe, when we stumbled into him. He seemed a bit disoriented, but not altogether unlike a pirate. He told us briefly how he desperately needed some beryl crab shells, but for the life of him couldn't focus much on his work lately due to constantly thinking about H'lahono. He didn't care to elaborate on her and we didn't act as if we knew her or had spoken to her. I kept expecting Nim to say something to him, but we both stood there awkwardly a moment before deciding it may be best after all to mind our business - and of course track down some beryl shells for the poor Lalafell.


 We made our way back out to the Camp Bloodshore area where we located some beryl crabs and removed them from their shells for Nanapiri (it was the least we could do, since we didn't have the heart to be honest with him). Unfortunately it was getting quite late, so we decided to spend the night at Wineport, northwest of the camp. It was a sleeply little hamlet protected mainly by high cliffs around it. I hadn't been here in quite some time.

We were just settling in for the night when we approached carefully and quietly by a young, miqo'te woman named I'nairoh. She told us a quick story about moongazing and the grape crops - honestly I was too tired to listen, but I did perk up at the mention of Menphina (since it was a popular topic lately), but I'nairoh was merely referring to the larger of the two moons, the smaller being Menphina's loyal hound, Dalamud. Nim agreed to help her before I had any say in the matter, so as quickly as I was ready for bed, I found myself up and armored again and heading out into the night.


We cleared the way for I'nairoh as we made our way out toward the coast where she could be inspired by Menphina by staring at her (the moon). We fought off some vagrant jelly-monsters, Aurelia, I believe they were and then took I'nairoh back to Wineport where she thanked us hastily and exasperatedly. She told us that while she had expected to be inspired, she did not expect to discover that the moon known as Dalamud appeared to be closer than it had been previously! How could this be? Was the moon falling toward the earth? She also mentioned seeing some suspicious brigands about - which was a similar description to those lurking about back when we rescued the Garlond engineers some time ago. I regret how sleepy and groggy I was that night (the wine, perhaps?) because I did not see any brigands (or Imperials) and I certainly don't see a falling moon, but it has me wondering nonetheless.


The next day we said farewell to I'nairoh and headed back to the city to hand over the shells we had collected to Nanapiri. He begged us up and down to keep our trip a secret so Carvallain would not get wind of his laziness or incapability. I had not heard that name spoken in many months and it took me back to a time when I was wrapped up in the going-ons around Limsa Lominsa. We agreed to his request and continued on her way, but I was once again lost in thought. I continue to think of the past, the Echo and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment