Sunday, October 24, 2010

Path of the Twelve

I found myself in Ul'dah today on my way back from Gridania to Linsa Lominsa. I think I had been avoiding it, but can't explain why. Perhaps I was a bit intimidated by the notion that there was something bigger and better than working for the Adventurer's Guild out of Baderon's place. Perhaps I simply did not want to understand why I had these vivid visions of the past or what it could possibly mean - or at least that I wasn't ready to know.
Waking Sands - Path of the Twelve
Today, however, I stepped into the Merchent Wards of Ul'dah and found myself at the Waking Sands, the very home of an organization called the Path of the Twelve. Blackburn met me there and told me I would have to meet with the Antecedent, Lady Minfilia. He then excused himself and left with another Hyur fellow.

Minfilia introduced herself as the acting Antecedent (causing me to wonder why she was simply acting - where was the real Antecedent, and what did this title imply?) and told me I had been chosen by the Twelve to receive the gift referred to as the Echo. Almost instantly I was ... given a vision of Minfilia and Blackburn discussing me and the events that had happened at Gods' Grip. They seemed to be somehow aware of my presence - they also had this gift so perhaps that explains it - and then I was returned to the present time.

Minfilia told me I had passed her test and explained that the Echo allowed one to peer into others' souls, to see important past events that occurred in their lives and speak and understand their languages. Beyond that she seemed to only speculate about the true nature and power of the Echo so I dismissed it. She mentioned that others like me claim to have awakened due to that mysterious storm in the sky that I witnessed on my fateful voyage to Linsa Lominsa. Though this claim also could not be verified as more than a coincidence - but now that she mentions it, I do recall hearing a voice call out to me that night. I had assumed that it was perhaps Y'shtola, but apparently it was something deeper than that. Perhaps one of the Twelve.
Meeting Antecedent, Lady Minfilia
She asked me if I would walk the Path and help them understand the Echo better. I was free to wander the Waking Sands and I did so, speaking to several others like myself (some awakened and some not) then returned to Minifilia to tell her I would become a Walker.

I was instructed to speak to a young lalafell named Tataru (that has a significant ring to it) who was the keeper of their books and I was registered as a Walker - as soon as I choose a Path Companion, a partner to experience these things with and explore the dangers of Eorzea. I would have preferred Nimla come with me but perhaps she was on her own path? Instead I decided to work with a hyur gladiator after meeting several other Walkers. We did not exchange names, but he reminded me of Elden, leader of Elysium, and we work well together.

Tataru gave me a linkpearl used by the Path of the Twelve and told me I'd be hearing from Minfilia after she had made her decision about my choice of companions. Then I left Waking Sands and now I'm wandering the streets of Ul'dah wondering what I've gotten myself into - and wondering what Nimla will think of all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment