Monday, October 18, 2010

Regarding Conjury

Conjuring is the art of manipulating aether around you into a spell to produce the desired effect.

I have always been drawn to this art, particularly the healing and curative nature. Nimla has always been talented in forming powerful combat spells with the destructive forces of nature. She came to Eorzea to study with the masters in Gridania. I came here to be with her and to sell my skills as an adventurer. I was drawn to working with wood for obvious reasons and took on carpentry as a more lucrative supplement to my adventuring.

It was only a matter of time, however, before I would have to study at the Stillglade Fane. That is where the conjurers of Eorzea congregate and study their art. It is allegedly where the elements are strongest in the entire continent. I knew if I was going to continue to pursue my arts as a Conjurer (for hire!) I'd have to study with the masters myself at some point.

I don't know why I put it off for so long, though I think it's likely because I was intimidated. I had heard they were not particularly accepting of outsiders - people not born in the forest. Nimla had done it for quite some time, though, so on this fateful day I decided I would wait no longer and I headed to Gridania.

Prominent Feature of Stillglade Fane
Although an outsider to this conclave, I was welcomed more graciously than I expected. I introduced myself to Soileine who explained to me that the Conjurers gathered at Stillglade Fane where the Whisper of the Elements was at its peak. She in turn introduced me to the elder, Telent, who was constantly in communication with the elements and had heard from them that I was coming.

He told me I would have to commune with the elements on their terms and sent me into the forest alone. There I would be guided by the forces of nature to a pack of rabid and malicious wolves that I was to exterminate to make the forest safe once more - and upon doing so I would be welcomed into this community as a brother conjurer.

I have never personally heard the elements speak, though as a conjurer I understand the sheer power and energy that comes from the forces of nature. I've been told countless times that even if I meditate most of my life and practice the art to its full extent I may still never hear the elements directly speak to me. I was fine with that as long as our mutual respect and cooperation continued. Perhaps some day I would be as talented and in tune with nature as Tenet, but for now I would be happy to complete a simple task like hunting wolves.

It was late into the night when I found the wolf pack. There were five wolves led by a larger alpha male and the circled me snarling and drooling - their eyes yellowed and unfocused. I concentrated on the willow wand I had crafted myself and as the wolves attacked me I was able to repel them and slay them until only the alpha and I were left. I managed to summon the last of my strength to fell the beast and as I was on the verge of exhaustion a made came out of the forest and looked upon the scene.

Shai and the Wolves
Some people call him Morys. He spoke to me in an odd, detached manner - muttering that the elements were pleased and the moogles would be safe now. He told me the job was done and I should return to the Fane.

Tenet had heard of my accomplishments before I returned again and congratulated me. Soileine paid me hansomely for the work I did. I spent time studying a technique called Elemental Shroud - a combat technique used to harm multiple assailants. I also was taught how to Fastcast - reducing the time it took for me to concentrate and manipulate energy into a spell by a considerable amount.

Conjurer Shai & Nimla
It was an interesting and enlightening experience. I am glad to feel a part of something larger than myself. I would have liked to study longer at the Stillglade Fane, but I still had a responsibility to meet up with Blackburn in Ul'dah.

No comments:

Post a Comment