Monday, April 11, 2011

The Business of Grave Robbing

I have recently been gaining skill in thaumaturgy so I decided to drop in on the guild.

I spoke to Yayake who knew I had come from Limsa Lominsa and decided to assign me a task of missionary to the city I originally lived in. Though, thaumaturge missionaries are a touch more unusual. Apparently I was to be selling grave sites at the Ossuary for those wishing to cross over. She explained these missions to foreign lands was an integral part of training and so I agreed to undertake the journey back to Limsa in order to "sell graves" to strangers.

I met another snobby thaumaturge in training who was being sent to Ishgard. She said she'd out-do me on her mission and I am forced to agree that her job might be easier than mine. Sailors and pirates often don't have proper bodies to bury as they are buried at sea. Well, I had no choice but to gather my belongings and set out for Limsa Lominsa. I had not been there in many weeks. We'd see who garnered more favor between this upstart and I on our missions only when the task was complete!
Baderon and I Go Way Back

As I arrived on the docks of Limsa Lominsa, I decided I would check in with my old acquaintance, Baderon.  He rightly made some jokes at my expense and at the Ossuary's but then decided to give up information like I knew he would. He pointed me to the blacksmith guild "Naldiq & Vymelli's" who were said to buy plots on occasion, but also mentioned I could win some friends there if I went out to help one of theirs that had been seen outside Limsa. Her last known whereabouts were on the road from Bearded Rock to Skull Valley.
Formidable Guard Looms
I tracked the blacksmith to the edge of the cliff being guarded by a Goobbue - trapped between a Goob and a bomb monster called Ignus Fatuus. I managed to sneak around the Goob and defeat the bomb allowing the young miqo'te blacksmith time to escape. The bomb was no match for me, but the Goobbue would have sent me to Thal sooner than I'd have liked. Everything worked out well, though, so I headed back to the smith's forge to find out what I could on grave selling.
Victory!
The man at the front desk, Bodenolf, was not interested in my sales pitch but I could see he was holding something back and so I let the Echo focus on his soul. When my senses became aware of where and when I was standing - I found myself in the same building but looking at that spunky, upstart thaumaturge who had been bold enough to challenge me at the Ossuary. She was exchanging something with a blacksmith at the guild - something they both agreed was valuable, but I couldn't see what it was that she had exchanged. Bodenolf saw it, though, and recognized it. Apparently it was buried with a friend of his at the Ossuary...

This was not good. No wonder she made such an outrageous boast. She had sabotaged my efforts. Although my mission was technically a failure, I had no choice but to return to the Ossuary and report this crime to the guild and hope for justice. Fortunately, I was still attuned to the aetheryte there so returning was much faster than leaving.

Yayake was distressed by the news, but still angry I could not return with even a single contract. She told me the guild would investigate the matter, but I should go speak with my rival who had recently returned from Ishgard as well. (How'd she get back so fast? Ishgard is much farther than Limsa!) She was not pleased with my accusations and I was forced to admit that I had no tangible evidence - I doubt they would understand the Echo, which didn't actually show her grave-robbing at all, but selling a piece thought to be buried with a friend. She was not going to be punished and it made me angry. She stormed off to plead her case to Yayake herself.
Confronting the Villain
I waited until I had calmed down some and then spoke to Yayake who informed me that this villain was right. The Ossuary's doctrine dictate we leave our worldly possessions behind when we cross over and so everyone benefits by these crude acts which are viewed as crimes in the material world. She would not be punished and I was schooled on a strict lesson of the guild.

I'm not sure I can support these acts.

The Arrzenath Ossuary has left me with much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment