Monday, April 18, 2011

A New Hope for Eorzea

Ever since I came to Eorzea six months ago I've heard talk of "companies," what I later learned were officially called the Grand Companies of Eorzea. I never mentioned it before because I wasn't entirely clear what they were or why there was such an excitement surrounding the concept but lately the talk has exploded on the streets of the city-states. There was an official announcement a few days ago that the Grand Companies were opening soon, that hope for Eorzea was at hand.

The Grand Companies are officially stated to be "the establishment of a comprehensive command center which combine the military, economic, and technological resources of a city-state in order to prepare it for coming doom." There was no timeline given when the Companies would be utilizing adventurers or how but it was comforting to understand they were currently being organized and the threat from the Garlean Empire would finally be confronted by the combined efforts of Ul'dah, Gridania and Limsa Lominsa. There's no word from Ishgard or Sharlayan joining the fight. 

I've been asking myself with which city-state I should ally myself. I'm a registered citizen of Limsa Lominsa, but I have been living in Ul'dah for several months as it is the economic center of Eorzea, but Gridania is literally on the front lines and where Nimla is registered as a citizen. Perhaps I won't be forced to choose and can support each equally but if I'm forced to choose I am currently torn.
An Odd Sight in Ul'dah
 Along with the announcement of Grand Companies there has been an influx of song and dance coming from people calling themselves Dreamers. I noticed them first in Ul'dah as I was preparing to embark on a patrol with Moogle Knights. The Dreamers appear to be some kind of religious movement that's spreading through the city-states originating from the original Dreamer, Jihli Aliapoh a Miqo'te from the Black Shroud. The Dreamer's Gospel tells of the return of the Archon - a race of angelic beings to save Eorzea from the perils of invasion.

The Dreamers
Honestly, I'd put my money and resources into the Companies over angelic beings, but I decided to listen to what these Dreamers had to say and was surprised when they handed me a strange yellow egg referred to as an earth Archon egg which they wanted me to incubate in preparation of the Archon's return. I was told if I incubated it as well as three other distinctive eggs, I'd be rewarded with an egg-shaped helmet. I laughed to myself as I walked off with this large yellow egg - but I thought I'd bite.

Later in the day I met up with a fellow Moogle Knight who offered me the eggs I was missing from the collection - I could tell she believed in this Archon thing so I tried not to embarrass myself as I lovingly took the Archon eggs and returned the full collection to the Dreamers of Ul'dah. I was rewarded as promised.
Looks as Ridiculous as it Sounds
I'd like to see one of these Archons if they truly exist. I recall that time I had seen the Ascian. The vision of it was one of the most horrific things I had ever seen and it lingers in my mind. I imagine the Archons are the opposite of those Ascian monsters, but I won't know until I see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment